Saturday, January 31, 2009

“I will not come to Davos again.”

Erdogan was angry when a panel moderator cut off his remarks, which were in response to Peres’ impassioned speech defending Israel’s offensive.

“I find it very sad that people applaud what you said,” Erdogan said. “You killed people. And I think that it is very wrong.”

The angry exchange followed an hour-long debate at the forum attended by world leaders.

Erdogan tried to rebut Peres as the discussion was ending, asking the moderator, Washington Post columnist David Ignatius, to let him speak once more. “Only a minute,” Ignatius replied.

“Mr. Peres, you are older than me. Your voice is too loud,” Erdogan told Peres, saying his emotion belied a guilty conscience.

You kill people,” Erdogan told the 85-year-old Israeli leader.

“I remember the children who died on beaches. I remember two former prime ministers who said they felt very happy when they were able to enter Palestine on tanks.

When it comes to killing, you know it too well,” the Turkish leader said.

When the moderator tried to cut short Erdogan’s remarks again, saying that it was past time to adjourn for dinner, he answered, “Don’t interrupt me. You are not allowing me to speak.”

He then said: “I will not come to Davos again.” -- The Buffalo News via Penarik Beca

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

iklan gratis - free ads